Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Cons to Homeschooling

Hey everybody!

Today I'm going to discuss the cons/disadvantages to homeschooling (I'll post the pros/advantages tomorrow!). While I find homeschooling very enjoyable, there are a few negative aspects to it.


  • It's harder to join an academic program while being home schooled. A lot of home schools differ from public schools in how they keep track of grades. I experienced this while applying to PREP. Normally, they would have just contacted my school and requested a transcript. However, being home schooled, my parents had to contact both homeschool programs (I was using 2 at the time) and request my grades, which made the process a lot longer.
  • Homeschooling isn't for everyone. Honestly, I enjoy being alone and getting to quietly do my own work. I work better without distractions. However, I know lots of kids wouldn't be able to take on the responsibility of being so independent and in charge of your grades. I also know that many teens my age wouldn't be able to take being around their parents for so long (but I'm okay, because I love my folks!)
  • Stereotypes can get annoying. There seems to be this idea that all home schooled kids are anti-social, have mental problems, and are outright weird. I know for a fact this isn't always true, because I've met a lot of great, social teens who happen to be home schooled. However, I've also met my share of "typical" weird homeschoolers. It just gets very frustrating when people assume you're weird just because you're home schooled!
  • You really have to branch out in order to make friends. If you move to a new public/private school, all you have to do is go to class and start talking to people. But if you move to a new place and you're home schooled, you have to start talking to neighborhood kids, join a new sport, a so on in order to meet new people.
Overall, despite the disadvantages I really do enjoy homeschooling and will talk about all the benefits tomorrow. :)

Until next time,
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment