Saturday, October 1, 2011

But Where Are You From Originally?

Hi everybody!

When moving to a new place and meeting new people, it's typical to give your name, where you're from, and other details. However, upon moving to Dubai I've found that some people are in disbelief about my Texan background.

See, other Americans believe and understand that I'm from the United States. They're aware of the fact that a wide variety of races and nationalities reside in the U.S. But when those from other countries ask where I'm from, nobody believes me!

Non-American: So, where are you from?
Me: Oh, I'm from Texas.
Non-American: No, no, no. Where are you from originally?
Me: Texas.
Non-American: No, but where are your parents from?
Me: [getting a bit annoyed] They're from Texas too.
Non-American: Sigh. [Obviously as annoyed as I am]

 This is very frustrating, especially when they go so far as to ask what part of India I'm from. I'd be able to deal with this a bit better if it didn't happen all the time! I'm not exaggerating when I say this happens at least several times a month.

It seems as though people who aren't from the US or haven't visited are under the impression that all Americans are blonde haired, blue eyed, and Caucasian. So when I start talking, they hear my American accent, but see my tan skin and dark features.

There are even more stereotypes against Texans! I once met a someone who worked at Pinkberry, and fully admitted that he thought Texas was full of tumbleweeds, cowboys and guns! I also get a lot of remarks about how I don't "sound" Texan. Not everybody in Texas talks with a redneck-Southern accent!

Maybe I should just start telling people I'm from Guadalajara.

Until next time,
<3 Lucero

2 comments:

  1. Hahahah, this was so great. All my family is from Guadalajara! Anyway, I miss/love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's because awesome people come from Guadalajara! Miss you too! <3

    ReplyDelete