Monday, October 10, 2011

ChicTravels: Egypt

Hey everybody!

While I didn't particularly enjoy living in Cyprus, one great advantage to living in the Mediterranean is having access to a wide variety of countries! During the couple of years I lived in Cyprus, I got to travel with my family all around Europe, and a few countries in Africa/Asia. So, during Blogtober, I'm going to talk about some of the places I visited and include pictures! Today's post is about Egypt.

My family and I went with some friends to Cairo, Egypt in October of 2008, I believe. I remember how hot it was there, even though it was already October (Dubai is hot in much the same way!) While in Egypt, we visited the pyramids at Giza, the Sphinx, and a local bazaar.

What I loved most about Egypt was definitely the pyramids and the history surrounding them! Seeing the pyramids in person definitely brought ancient history to life. I thought it was so cool being able to study the ancient Egyptian civilization, and then go to Egypt a few weeks later! Seeing something as monumental as the pyramids withstand thousands of years is mind boggling in itself.

The sphinx is also such a grand piece of history, it's hard to wrap your head around the notion of people creating such a statue thousands of years ago with limited inventions and supplies. Imagine how long it would take us to create a statue like that with modern day tools!

One downside, however, was seeing the poverty that the locals lived in. Everywhere, there were little kids selling trinkets and souvenirs to oblivious tourists. It made me sad to see such young kids be forced to become so street-smart, and grownup so soon.

This trip definitely changed me. It brought to life history that seemed so long ago, and I can honestly say that going to Egypt really helped spark my fascination with history. I also came to the realization that the human race as a whole has been on this earth for a relatively short amount of time, yet we've accomplished so much.








Hope you enjoyed! Until next time,
<3 Lucero

No comments:

Post a Comment